General Operations in a Report
When a page report is opened in Page Report Studio, you can do the following general operations:
- Managing report tabs
A page report can include one or more report tabs. The Go To drop-down list on the toolbar panel or the tabs across the top of the report list the display names of all the open report tabs in the current report. Selecting the display name of an inactive report tab will make it active. You can manage report tabs in a page report easily as follows:
- Opening and closing a report tab
In a page report, a report tab can be shown or not. To close (hide) the active report tab, select Menu > File > Close Report Tab . If there are one or more report tabs open other than the active report tab, the close action will hide the active report tab; in the case that the active report tab is the only report tab open, the close action will prompt you whether or not to close the report.
- To open (show) a hidden report tab, select Menu > File > Open or the Open button on the toolbar to display the Open Report Tabs dialog, in which the report tabs open in the current report are marked with a check symbol. Check the report tabs you want to open, uncheck the ones you want to close, and then select OK.
- Renaming a report tab
To rename a report tab, first activate it, then select Menu > File > Rename Report Tab. In the Rename Report Tab dialog, specify a new display name for the report tab.
- Deleting a report tab
To delete a report tab, first activate it, then select Menu > File > Delete Report Tab. The only report tab open cannot be deleted.
Note: A Logi JReport Live license for Logi JReport Server is required in order to delete report tabs. If you do not have the license, contact your Logi Analytics account manager to obtain it.
Tip: You can configure the Page Report Studio profile to enable switching report tabs using tabs. With report tabs you can easily activate a report tab in a report by selecting the tab representing the report tab on the report tab bar, and closing, renaming and deleting a report tab can also be accomplished by right-clicking the report tab and choosing the corresponding command from the shortcut menu.
- Opening and closing a report tab
- Turning the report pages
If a report tab includes more than one page, to turn between the report pages, you can:
- Select the First Page button , Previous Topic button , Next Topic button , or Last Page button on the View toolbar.
- Input a number into the page box and press Enter to go to that page.
- Select Menu > View > Turn To and then select the corresponding command on the submenu. When the Page command is selected, the Turn to Page dialog appears for you to input the page number.
- Use the scrollbar or mouse wheel to scroll up/down the report tab.
- Navigating through the report data
You can use the TOC Browser to navigate through a report tab. To show the TOC Browser, select Menu > View > TOC Browser.
In the TOC Browser, expand the Report node, select a component or a node with the group value that you want to browse to. The page that contains the component or the matching data will then be shown.
The table of contents in the TOC Browser is organized into a tree structure. The root node represents the report tab that you are currently viewing. The component names indicate components in the report tab. The group values show hierarchical groups.
For report tabs designed in Logi JReport Designer, the nodes displayed on their TOC tree as well as the format of the TOC tree can be customized.
- Refreshing the report result
To fetch the data of the current report again, you can select Menu > View > Refresh.
- Switching the report data mode
. If you are making a lot of changes to the report, it may be faster to limit the number of records to 1 page while you make the changes and then change it back to full data mode to view the final result.
When thePartial Report Result feature is enabled in the server profile, you can switch the report data mode to view full data or only a specified number of data in a report. To show a certain number of data, selectPartial Datafrom the data mode drop-down list on the toolbar and set a positive integer in the text box that follows, then pressEnteror select outside the text box. By default, the number is 5000, which means the first 5000 records will retrieved. To show all data records, selectFull Data
- Applying a style
A style can be applied to a report in order to change its appearance and characteristics. You can create and set up your own styles in Logi JReport Designer. When you publish your reports to Logi JReport Server, you can include these custom styles with the published reports. When you run a report, the style feature will be enabled and you can select a style to apply to the report.
- Applying a style to a report
To apply a style to a report, make sure nothing is selected in the report, then select Menu > Report > Style and select the required one from the submenu, or select the required style from the style drop-down list on the toolbar. When a style is applied to the whole report, all components in the report will take a uniform appearance.
- Applying a style to a data component
The data component (banded objects, crosstabs, charts, and tables) in a report can take a different style of its own. To apply a style to a data component, select it and then select Menu > Report > Style and select the required one from the submenu, or select the required style from the style drop-down list on the toolbar, or right-click the component and select Apply Style from the shortcut menu to select the required style in the Apply Style dialog. If the data component is contained in a banded object (for a chart, in a table also), you can also select the Inherit Style option to make it inherit the style of its parent data component.
However, if there is only one style available to the report, this style will be applied to the report by default, in which case, you will find that all these style related commands are hidden.
- Applying a style to a report
- Changing the report parameter values
If there are parameters in the current report, you can change the parameter values at runtime. To do this, select Menu > Report > Change Parameters, then in the Enter Parameter Values dialog, specify the value for each parameter and select OK to run the report with the specified parameter values.
You can also use parameter web controls to dynamically change the parameter values of a report at runtime. For details, see Applying Web Controls.
- Opening links
When a page report is developed with links in Logi JReport Designer, which refer to locations specified by URLs, e-mail addresses or other reports, you can select the links' trigger objects in Page Report Studio to open the links. However, if the select priority of the link action is not specified to be the highest at report design time, you have to right-click on the trigger objects and select the corresponding link item on the shortcut menu to open the links. For example, if a trigger object is linked with a detail report, you need to right-click the object and select Detail Report from the shortcut menu to open the detail report. Meanwhile, when opening the detail report, you may be prompted with the Encoding dialog, asking you to provide encoding and DB security information before the report result is produced. Select OK in the dialog if you want to run a detail report using the same encoding and DB security settings as that of the master report.
After opening a linked report, you can select the Back or Next button on the toolbar to return back to the previous report or go forward to the next report, or select and select an item from the drop-down list to switch to that report directly. When opening a detail report, if the detail report is opened in the current window, a "link path", which tracks the linking action will be displayed in the Go To drop-down list if the list is available. Selecting the item in the list will switch to the corresponding report.
- Setting Page Report Studio options
Page Report Studio allows you to set the skin and customize toolbars. To do this:
- Select Menu > View > Options, or right-click anywhere on the toolbar area and select Options from the shortcut menu to open the Options dialog.
- In the Option tab, set the skin of Page Report Studio user interface.
- In the Customize tab,
- To modify a toolbar, select it in the Current Toolbar box, remove those unnecessary items from the Selected Tools box, and add required tools from the Available Tools box. Select or to adjust the order of the tools on the toolbar.
- To add a toolbar, select to show the New Toolbar Name dialog, then specify the toolbar name, select OK to return to the Options dialog, and set the tools for the new toolbar.
- To delete a toolbar, select it and select .
- To load the default settings, including the skin, and the three built-in toolbars, namely Standard, View, and Analysis, select the Restore Defaults button.
- Select OK to apply the settings.
Tip: To close a toolbar, right-click anywhere on the toolbar area, then on the shortcut menu, select the item corresponding to the toolbar name. You can also do this to open an invisible toolbar, such as a newly-created one. The open/close toolbar operation can also be achieved by selecting the corresponding item on the Toolbar submenu of the View menu.
- Tuning report page magnification
You can zoom in or out the report page by selecting a magnification from the Zoom list on the View toolbar. You can also select Menu > View > Zoom to show the Zoom dialog, and then specify the magnification.
- Setting up the report page
- Select Menu > File > Page Setup. The Page Properties dialog appears.
- In the General tab, specify the page size, orientation, and margins of the report page. You can check the Auto Fit option to calculate the page width/height according to the width/height of the contents within the page dynamically, which is useful when the width/height of the contents is unpredictable.
- In the Export tab, specify the page properties for the exported result of the report tab, which will be applied when advanced running and scheduling to run the report tab on Logi JReport Server as well as exporting the report tab in Page Report Studio.
By default, the page properties defined for the report tab in the General tab of the dialog will be applied to the exported result of all export formats. You can define the page properties for each exported result by selecting a format from the Type drop-down list, unchecking the Auto option and then defining the properties as you want.
- Select OK to accept the changes and close the dialog
- Select Menu > File > Page Setup. The Page Properties dialog appears.
- Adding/Removing page breaks
A new page will be generated in a report tab only when the space in a page has been fully occupied or there exists a break control in this page, for example, a page break that is inserted in the page.
To insert a page break, select Menu > Insert > Page Break, then select the mouse button on the destination where you want the page break to be inserted.
To remove a page break, right-click on the report body, then on the shortcut menu, select Remove Page Breaks and then the corresponding page break from the submenu.
- Page breaks can be inserted into the report body level.
- Page breaks can be inserted into banded objects only when the following conditions have been met:
- The parent of the banded object is the report body.
- There isn't any existing page panel in the report body.
- Its Position property of the banded object is set to static.
- Undoing/Redoing actions
You can undo or redo some actions by selecting Menu > Edit > Undo or Redo (or the Undo button or Redo button on the toolbar).
- Keeping the report as a background task
When the option Enable Background Task for Reports in the server profile is checked, you can make the page reports that have been opened successfully in Page Report Studio as background tasks so as to access them the next time directly without running them again.
To keep an opened page report as a background task, select the Keep as Background Task button on the toolbar, the report will then be added in the Background Tasks table of the My Reports page in the server console. You can open it there when needed.
- Scheduling report tasks
If the option Quick Schedule from Web/Page Studio is enabled in the server profile, you can schedule tasks to publish page reports to e-mails, FTP sites, or the Logi JReport Server versioning system in Page Report Studio. However the Quick Schedule feature inside Page Report Studio does not provide the full functionalities. If you want to use the full schedule system of Logi JReport Server, go to the server console to submit the schedule tasks.
- Make sure you are in Basic View of Page Report Studio.
- Switch to the page report tab on which the schedule task is based, then select the Quick Schedule button on the toolbar. The Quick Schedule dialog is displayed.
If the page report has not been saved, you will be prompted to save the report.
- Specify the name for the task in the Schedule Name text box.
- From the Time Type drop-down list specify the time for when the task is to be performed.
- To perform the task as soon as you submit it, select Immediately.
- If you want to run the task repeatedly, select Periodically, then specify to run it daily, weekly or monthly at a specific time of a day.
- From the Publish To drop-down list, select where to publish the report result and
specify the settings of the publish type.
- To publish the report result to e-mail, select E-mail. Then specify the e-mail information such as addresses, subject and comments respectively; if you want to send the report result in the mail body, check E-mail Result in and select a format for the result: HTML or Text (when HTML is selected the comments you input for the e-mail will be overwritten by the report result; if Text is selected the comments will be positioned in front of the report result); check Attachment in to send the report result as an attachment and specify the format of the attachment file.
- To publish the report result to the Logi JReport Server versioning system, select Version System. Then choose a format in which to send the report result.
- To publish the report result to an FTP site, select FTP. Then specify the information for the FTP site and select a format in which to send the report result.
- Select OK to submit the task.
When the task is finished, you can go to the My Tasks page in the server console to view the scheduled report result.
- Showing/Hiding editing marks
In Page Report Studio, you can use editing marks (dashed outlines of objects) for purposes such as aligning, moving and resizing. By default, the editing marks are shown only when you create a new blank report in Page Report Studio. You can select Menu > View > Editing Marks to switch the status of the editing marks as required.
- Showing/Hiding user information
The User Information bar shows the current user name, catalog path and name, and report path and name. You can select Menu > View > User Information Bar to show or hide the bar.
- Asking for help
At any time, you can select Menu > Help > User's Guide to open the index page of Page Report Studio User's Guide. Furthermore, you can select the Help button in any dialog to show the help about the dialog. You can also use the Help menu to open the User's Guide and access Logi JReport website for more information.
- Exiting the report
If you want to close the current report and release the resources, just select Menu > File > Exit (or the Exit button which is always at the upper right corner of the Page Report Studio window, or the close button of the browser window). Closing the only report tab open will also prompt you whether or not to close the report. In case that you have modified the report without saving it, Page Report Studio will prompt you to save the report.