Embedding Data Components in a Banded Object
You can embed data components, including banded objects, tables, charts, crosstabs, and geographic maps inside a banded object. The embedded data components can have their own datasets or inherit the dataset from the parent, and when they inherit the parent's dataset, the report becomes powerful. This topic describes how you can make use of this unique Embedding Data Component feature of banded objects to design powerful reports.
For example, if you want Designer to filter a child data component automatically by the group of the parent banded object, you can put the child data component in the group panel in the banded object and make it inherit dataset from its parent, then Logi Report replicates the child data component for each group in the parent. Moreover, by embedding a chart in a banded object and having it inherit the dataset from the parent, you can make the chart a dynamic chart in Excel. However, when you want to insert a data component into the Detail (DT), Banded Page Header (BPH), or Banded Page Footer (BPF) panel of a banded object, you cannot make the data component inherit dataset from the parent.
Suppose you want to deliver a chart to give to each country showing the annual sales of each product category for the country, you can create the report as follows:
- Make sure SampleReports.cat is the currently open catalog file. If not, select File > Open Catalog to open it from
- Create a page report with a banded object in it based on the query WorldWideSales in Data Source 1 and group it by the field Country.
- Select the Country group-by field, then in the Report Inspector, set its properties Foreground, Bold, and Font Size to 0xff0000, true, and 10 respectively.
- Right-click the banded header panel (BH) and select Hide from the shortcut menu to hide it.
- Repeat the above step to hide the panels BPH, DT, GF, BPF, and BF that do not contain any data.
- Resize the group header panel (GH), drag and drop the Clustered Bar icon from the Components panel to the group header panel below the Country group-by field.
- In the Create Chart wizard, define the chart as follows:
- Use the current dataset WorldWideSales its parent applies.
- Display in the default chart type Clustered Bar 2-D.
- Show the summary Sum_AnnualSalesbyCountry on the value axis (Designer adds the field Country automatically as the category field).
- Add Category as the series field.
Designer embeds the chart in the banded object as follows in the design area:
- Save the report and select the View tab to preview it. Designer filters the annual sales for each product category in each country in the chart according to the group-by field Country in the banded object.