Lesson 1: Creating a Web Report the Quick Start Way
In this lesson, we will create a web report the quick start way and learn about the visualization toolbar of Web Report Studio, which is also available in the traditional way.
This lesson contains the following tasks:
- In the Logi JReport Server Start Page, select Web Report in the Create category. Web Report Studio is then displayed in a new tab, prompting you to select data for the new report.
- In the Select Catalog dialog, expand the SampleReports folder, select the SampleReports.cat catalog and select OK.
- In the Select Data Source dialog, select WorldWideSalesBV in the Resources box. All the data fields contained in the business view are then displayed in the right box. Select Region, Sales Year, Total Sales, and Category and select OK.
A web report containing a table is generated.
Via the visualization toolbar (the toolbar displayed vertically) of Web Report Studio, you can conveniently convert a data component between the following types: table, crosstab or chart.
First, we will convert the table to a crosstab.
- Select on the visualization toolbar. The table is converted to a crosstab:
The visualization toolbar also provides entry to the wizard of current data component. With the wizard you can redefine a data component, apply filter to narrow down data displayed in the component.
Next we will use the wizard to edit the data fields displayed in the crosstab.
- Select on the visualization toolbar and the Crosstab Wizard is displayed.
- In the Rows box of Data tab, select Sales Year and then select the X button at the top right of the box to remove it.
- Remove Category from the Columns box in the same way.
- In the Resources box, browse to the Products category at the bottom and select Category, then select to add it to the Rows box.
- Select OK to confirm the changes. A message dialog is displayed asking for your confirmation of the change. select OK in the dialog.
A new crosstab is created.
Lastly we will convert the crosstab to a chart and save the web report.
- Select on the visualization toolbar. The crosstab is converted to a bar chart as follows. You can also select other chart types on the toolbar.
- Select the Save button on the toolbar, the Save As dialog is then displayed.
- From the Save In drop-down list, select the My Reports folder, input Product Sales in the File Name text box, then select OK to save the report to the server resource tree.