Managing Page Reports
Designer places all the page report files physically in the same directory where the catalog file resides. Due to this, you are not able to get detailed information about a page report until you open it in Designer. For example, if you want to find a page report with a special condition, you have to load each page report. For just a few page reports, this is not a problem; however, the case is different when there are many reports. To ease the work for you, Designer provides you with the Page Report Manager for managing page reports by means of adding them into folders. Designer also enables you to manage the report tabs in a specific page report, for example, you can import report tabs from another page report into it, and move, duplicate, rename, and delete the report tabs via the report tab bar. This topic describes how you can manage the page reports in a catalog as well as the report tabs in a page report.
This topic contains the following sections:
- Managing the Page Reports in a Catalog
- Managing the Report Tabs in a Page Report
To manage the page reports using the Page Report Manager, first select Report > Manage Page Reports to open it. You can categorize the page reports into different folders and work on them just like processing files in a file system: add, open, delete, move, rename, and search items.
- Select a folder and select New Folder on the toolbar or right-click a folder and select New Folder from the shortcut menu.
Designer then adds a new folder as a sub node, and the default name for the folder is Folder1, Folder2.... You can rename the folder.
- Select the folder and select Rename on the toolbar or right-click it and select Rename from the shortcut menu.
- Type a new name in the name box, and then select outside the box (or just press Enter on the keyboard).
- Select the folder to which you want to add the page reports and select Add Page Reports on the toolbar, or right-click the folder and select Add Page Reports from the shortcut menu. Designer displays the Choose Page Report dialog box.
- All the page reports in the current catalog are available in the report box. Select the required ones.
- Select the Add button to add the selected page reports to the folder. The default names of the report items are the file names of the reports. You can rename the reports as you would with a folder.
You can add a report to multiple folders in case you want to include it in multiple categories. You can double-click any report in the Page Report Manager to open the report.
- Select the folder/report and right-click it, then select Move To from the shortcut menu. Designer displays the Move Report/Folder dialog box.
- The Move To box lists all the available folders. Select the folder to which you want to move the folder/report.
- Select OK to apply the setting.
You can also move a folder/report to another folder by simply dragging the folder/report to the destination folder.
Select the folder/report, select Show Properties on the toolbar, then edit its property values in the Properties sheet. After editing a value, press Enter on the keyboard to confirm the change.
A folder has the following properties:
- Description: Specify the description of the folder.
- Name: Specify the name of the folder.
A report has the following properties:
- Author: Specify the author of the report.
- Description: Specify the description of the report.
- File Name: Specify the name of the report.
- Keywords: Specify the keywords of the report.
- Last Modified Time: Specify the last time at which the report was modified.
- Last Print Time: Specify the last time at which the report was printed.
- Last Run Time: Specify the last time at which the report ran.
- Name: Specify the display name of the report.
- Query Name: Specify the query used by the report.
- Value Type: Specify the type of the report.
You can make use of the search box to search for the desired properties (to display the search box, select the Search icon at the upper right corner of the Properties sheet). To start searching, type the text you want to search for in the search box and Designer lists the properties containing the matched text. Designer closes the search box when you select another object.
You can make use of the following options in the search box:
- Drop-down icon
Select to list more search options.
- Highlight All
Select to highlight all matched text.
- Match Case
Select to search for text that meets the case of the typed text.
- Match Whole Word
Select to search for text that looks the same as the typed text.
- Highlight All
- Delete icon
Select to close the search box and cancel the search.
You can perform wildcard searches for report names or folder names in the Page Report Manager.
- Select a folder and right-click it, then select Search on the shortcut menu. Designer displays the Search Reports dialog box.
- In the Find what text box, type the report or folder name, or report keywords you have specified for the Keywords property of the report in the Properties sheet, then select the corresponding search criteria from the By drop-down list, which can be by name, by keywords, or by name or keywords.
If you just type in part of the report or folder name, or report keywords, use * to replace the other part of the name or keywords. For example, if you want to search for the report EmployeeInformation, you should type *Info* instead of info in the text box.
- Specify what you want to find: a folder, a report, or both.
- Type the search path in the Look in text box.
- Specify whether to limit the search to text that exactly matches the case of the search text.
- Specify whether to find the folder or report also in the sub folders of the search path.
- Select the Search Now button to start searching. Designer lists the matched results in the search result box.
- If you want to start another search, select the New Search button and set the condition using the method described above.
You can export report information in the Page Report Manager to a table in a DBMS. The default name of the table is "ReportsInfo". You can change the name as required. Each row of the table is a report description.
- Select the root folder Reports and right-click it.
- On the shortcut menu, select Export. Designer displays the Get JDBC Connection Information dialog box.
- Fill in the required text boxes for connecting to the DBMS, and then select the OK button.
- Give a name for the table and select OK in the Input dialog box. Designer adds the report information to the table in the DBMS.
You need to make sure there are no duplicate name in the DBMS; otherwise, Designer replaces the same name table directly.
- Select the folders/reports in the Reports tree, and then do any of the following:
- Press the Delete key on the keyboard.
- Select Delete on the toolbar.
- Right-click and select Delete from the shortcut menu (it works when only one object is selected).
Designer displays a Warning message box.
- Select the option Also delete report files from file system if you want to remove them from your local directory permanently; otherwise, leave the option unselected to only remove them from the virtual tree in the Page Report Manager.
- Select Yes in the box. If you select folders, Designer removes the folders and all their contents.
If you delete a report manually from the local file system, later when you open the Page Report Manager, you can see that the node icon representing the report is marked with a red cross. You can use the above method to remove the invalid node.
You can also manage the report tabs in a specific page report, for example, import report tabs from another page report into it, and insert, duplicate, and delete the report tabs via the report tab bar.
Designer enables you to import report tabs to a page report from another page report in the same catalog, and specify dataset for the data components in the to be imported report tabs.
- Select File > Import From > Logi Report Page Report.
- In the Open Report dialog box, specify the page report that contains the report tabs you want to import, then select Open.
Designer displays the Select Report Tab dialog box.
- Select the report tabs you want to import.
- If you want to customize datasets used by data components within the to be imported report tabs, select the Customize Dataset for Components checkbox.
- Select OK. Designer displays the Customize Dataset dialog box.
- Designer lists all the data components in the selected report tabs, which have self-bound datasets, in the dialog box. Specify which dataset you want a data component to use by selecting its Dataset Name cell and choosing from the drop-down list.
- Select OK to import the report tabs with specified datasets to their data components. Designer displays the imported report tabs after the existing report tabs in the page report.
You can use the report tab bar to duplicate, move, rename, and delete the report tabs in a specific page report.
- Copying a report tab
On the report tab bar, right-click the report tab and select Copy on the shortcut menu. Then,
- If you want to make a copy of the report tab within the current report, right-click any report tab and select Paste from the shortcut menu. Designer then prompts you to give the report tab a new name. Specify the name as required.
- If you want to copy the report tab to another page report of the same catalog, open the report to which to copy the report tab, then right-click any report tab and select Paste from the shortcut menu. The report that you are copying from must still be open in Designer.
- Moving a report tab to another page report
- On the report tab bar, right-click the report tab and select Cut on the shortcut menu.
- Open the page report in the same catalog where to put the report tab.
- Right-click any report tab and select Paste on the shortcut menu.
- Renaming a report tab
- On the report tab bar, right-click the report tab and select Rename on the shortcut menu.
- In the Input Report Tab Name dialog box, specify a new name for the report tab and select OK.
- Duplicating a report tab
To make a duplicate report tab in the current page report, right-click the report tab on the report tab bar, and then select Duplicate on the shortcut menu.
- Removing a report tab
Right-click the report tab on the report tab bar, and then select Remove on the shortcut menu. Since a page report cannot be empty, you are not able to remove all of the report tabs in the page report.