This topic demonstrates how to save different types of reports.
To save the changes you have made to a report, select Home > Save or File > Save. The report is then saved into the directory where the current catalog is located. This operation can also be accomplished by pressing the Ctrl + S keys. If the report is newly created, you will be prompted to specify the file name of the report. To save a report with a different name in the current directory, select File > Save As.
Web report files can only be saved in Web Report format (.wls) and library components in Library Component format (.lc).
By default, page report files are saved with .cls suffix. This is the format that provides optimal performance in the Logi JReport toolset. Page report files can also be stored in the following formats:
- Report Template (.rpt)
It is a file saved in text format, which can be edited in any text editor.
- Self Contained Page Report (.clx)
It is a binary report file, which contains not only the report's layout but also the catalog with its own resources.
- Page Report XML Format (.cls.xml)
It follows the XML standard, which can be edited with both Logi JReport Designer and external XML editors. Page reports that contain user defined objects (UDO) cannot be saved to XML format. Using the XML format is better for checking into source code control systems than using the binary formats. The XML feature for page reports is under license control. To obtain the special key, contact Logi Analytics Support ([email protected]).
Since the resources for a catalog file are shared by all reports based on it, if you have different developers develop reports at the same time, and you want to use the same catalog in order for all the resources to be reused, you can have the developers save their reports with related resources to a "universal" catalog file. In this way, the to-be-saved report's resources such as queries, formulas, and parameters will be merged into the target "universal" catalog file. However Logi JReport Designer does not handle concurrency issues, which means two people cannot update the "universal" catalog at the same time.
Library components cannot be saved to a different catalog.
To save a report to a different catalog:
- select File > Save To.
- Browse to the location of the target catalog, then select Save. The target catalog must have the same name as the current catalog.
- In the Warning message box, select Yes.
This saves your report into a target catalog file, which means:
- The report and the relevant files alike will be copied to the directory where the target catalog file is located.
- If the connection does not exist yet in the target catalog, it will be added using the same connection information as in the source catalog.
- The resources (query, formulas, parameters, and so on) that are referenced by this report in the current catalog will be merged to the target catalog. If there are any conflicts they will be identified according to the Merge Catalog Option setting. For more information, see Merging Catalogs.
In this way, even while users work with their own individual catalog files, they can still publish their reports and associated resources to the target "universal" catalog file.