You can divide data on the category axis of a chart into different range groups based on certain group criteria and customize the data labels for each range group to show the information you need. This can help you compare the chart data in the way you desire. This topic presents an example to show how you can customize range groups in a chart.
You can use the Range Group feature on charts that satisfy the following conditions:
- The chart is of the Bar, Bench, Line, or Area type.
- The value fields of the chart do not contain detail information. For example, for a business view-based chart, its value fields cannot be the detail objects in the business view.
Suppose that you have a chart showing the total sales of each month in 2015 and 2016. Now you want to compare the total sales of the two years and also the percentage sales of each month occupies. You can achieve this by defining range groups.
- Make sure SampleReports.cat is the currently open catalog file. If not, navigate to File > Open Catalog to open it from
- Navigate to File > New > Web Report to create a web report.
- Insert a chart in the web report as follows:
- Use WorldWideSalesBV in Data Source 1 of the catalog.
- Display in the Clustered Bar 2-D chart type.
- Show Sales Month on the category axis and Total Sales on the value axis.
- Apply the Basic style.
Next, we edit some properties of the data labels on the range groups and make the data labels show total sales of each month instead.
- Right-click the chart and navigate to Format Axes > Format Category (X) Axis on the shortcut menu to open the Format Category (X) Axis dialog box again.
- Navigate to the Range > Data Label tab, in the Border box, specify Color as 606060, select the first item from the Line Style drop-down list, set Thickness to 2 px.
- Select Edit Data Labels to open the Data Label Editor dialog box.
- Select [Category] from the drop-down list of the first iterator.
- Right-click the blank area in the Data Label Editor dialog box and
select Chart Iterator from the shortcut menu.
- In the Chart Iterator dialog box, select Category in the Iterated By box and select OK.
- Select OK in the Data Label Editor and Format Category (X) Axis dialog boxes respectively to close them and apply the settings.
- Resize the chart and preview it again. Designer displays the data labels with border and the data labels now show the total sales of each month and the percentage each month occupies. You can put the mouse over the data labels when they cannot completely display to get the full text.