Get Started with the SDK
The Composer Software Development Kit (SDK) is a set of tools to help software developers extend Composer's capabilities and embed them into custom and third-party applications. It is intended for use by software developers. Be sure to read Composer REST API Overview as well as the following topics.
What Can I Do with the SDK?
The Composer SDK allows you to extend and embed Composer's data analytics server to fit your own particular needs. You can:
- Use Composer data in your own web application
- Embed a Composer visual in your own web application
- Create a custom chart to use in Composer or your own web application
- Use Composer administrative controls in your own application
- Use the OAuth 2.0 protocol to secure your application's use of Composer
What's in the Box?
The Composer SDK is a toolkit for extending Composer's native capabilities and for embedding Composer analytics in your own application. It includes:
- REST APIs - to programmatically manage Composer's administrative features, including sources, groups and users, security, and more.
- Visualization Framework - to add new visuals to Composer gallery
- Samples - working code to help you see the various APIs in action
- How-to guides - to provide steps for different common tasks
- Reference documentation - for easily looking up various object definitions and methods.
What Do I Need to Get Started?
The Composer SDK is a toolkit to augment your own skills and tools as you build your own applications and extend Composer itself. To get started, you need:
- access to a Composer server
- administrative access to one or more accounts on the server, or ideally supervisor access to the server itself
- some data
- an understanding of REST APIs and web asynchronous processes, if you intend to use Composer's REST APIs
Where Do I Begin?
How you get started with Composer depends upon what you want to do.
|I want to...||Description|
|customize the way the Composer app looks: the login screen, the logo, and so on.||You do not need the SDK to make customizations to the Composer application. For information about customizing the look and feel of the Composer app, see White Label the Interface.|
|create dashboards of visuals.||You do not need the SDK to create dashboards of Composer visuals. For information about creating dashboards in the Composer application, see Manage Dashboards .|
|modify an existing Composer visual's functionality.||The Composer SDK includes templates for its visuals. You can create a new visual from one of these templates and modify the template to your own specifications. For more information, see Maintaining Custom Charts Using the Custom Chart CLI .|
|manage Composer users, accounts, data sources, etc., in my own custom application or script.||The SDK includes a large number of REST methods that allow you administer the metadata of your Composer server in your own application or using cURL or a REST client. For more information, see Composer REST API Overview .|
|use the OAuth 2.0 protocol to securely access Composer functionality in my own application.||The SDK provides a workflow for using the OAuth 2.0 protocol in your custom app. For more information, see Implement OAuth 2.0 with Composer.|
Please sign in to leave a comment.