Get Started with the SDK
The Composer Software Development Kit (SDK) is a set of tools to help software developers extend Composer's capabilities and embed them into custom and third-party applications. It is intended for use by software developers. Be sure to read Composer REST API Overview as well as the following topics.
The Composer SDK allows you to extend and embed Composer's data analytics server to fit your own particular needs. You can:
- Use Composer data in your own web application
- Embed a Composer visual in your own web application
- Create a custom chart to use in Composer or your own web application
- Use Composer administrative controls in your own application
- Use the OAuth 2.0 protocol to secure your application's use of Composer
The Composer SDK is a toolkit for extending Composer's native capabilities and for embedding Composer analytics in your own application. It includes:
- REST APIs - to programmatically manage Composer's administrative features, including sources, groups and users, security, and more.
- Visualization Framework - to add new visuals to Composer gallery
- Samples - working code to help you see the various APIs in action
- How-to guides - to provide steps for different common tasks
- Reference documentation - for easily looking up various object definitions and methods.
The Composer SDK is a toolkit to augment your own skills and tools as you build your own applications and extend Composer itself. To get started, you need:
- access to a Composer server
- administrative access to one or more accounts on the server, or ideally supervisor access to the server itself
- some data
- an understanding of REST APIs and web asynchronous processes, if you intend to use Composer's REST APIs
How you get started with Composer depends upon what you want to do.
|I want to...||Description|
|customize the way the Composer app looks: the login screen, the logo, and so on.||You do not need the SDK to make customizations to the Composer application. For information about customizing the look and feel of the Composer app, see White Label the Interface.|
|create dashboards of visuals.||You do not need the SDK to create dashboards of Composer visuals. For information about creating dashboards in the Composer application, see Manage Dashboards .|
|modify an existing Composer visual's functionality.||The Composer SDK includes templates for its visuals. You can create a new visual from one of these templates and modify the template to your own specifications. For more information, see Maintaining Custom Charts Using the Custom Chart CLI .|
|manage Composer users, accounts, data sources, etc., in my own custom application or script.||The SDK includes a large number of REST methods that allow you administer the metadata of your Composer server in your own application or using cURL or a REST client. For more information, see Composer REST API Overview .|
|use the OAuth 2.0 protocol to securely access Composer functionality in my own application.||The SDK provides a workflow for using the OAuth 2.0 protocol in your custom app. For more information, see Implement OAuth 2.0 with Composer.|