Dispatching RMI Server Pages Requests in Multiple Server Environment
You can dispatch RMI Server Pages requests in multiple-server environment, which includes clustered and non-clustered Logi Report servers. This topic describes a sample solution in clustered server environment, which is to visit Server Pages JSPs remotely from WebSphere 7 to Logi Report Clustered Server using customized dispatcher.
The diagram below illustrates the structure:
You should be able to set up a similar service with any Java EE server by following the same procedure based on your application server documentation.
This demo dispatcher dispatches requests from different sessions to different Logi Report Servers according to Round-Robin algorithm. The dispatcher has the Fail Over function, which will periodically check whether there is any unavailable server in the cluster. No request will be dispatched to the unavailable server until the server is checked to be available again.
In general, the solution has the following major steps:
- Step 1: Set Up the Server Cluster
- Step 2: Generate a WAR File Containing Server Pages RMI JSP and Dispatcher for WebSphere
- Step 3: Deploy the WAR File to WebSphere
- Step 4: Configure a Clustered Logi Report Server
In this example we will set up two Logi Report Servers into the cluster using the Round-Robin algorithm.
For more information, see Setting Up and Configuring a Logi Report Server Cluster.
- Build a Logi Report Server WAR file as defined by makewar.xml for remote integration. Server saves the generated WAR file to the default directory
makewar.sh buildRemoteWar -Djrs.remote.host=192.168.0.1 -Djrs.remote.rmiport=1129 -Djrs.rmi.auth_file=/home/rmi.auth
- Compile the dispatcher DemoRemoteDispatcher.java stored in
<server_install_root>\lib\jakarta.servlet-api-4.0.4.jar. The class file DemoRemoteDispatcher.class and some other class files will be generated.
- In the WAR file, drag the class files generated in step 2 to the remote.war\WEB-INF\classes\demodispath folder, assuming that this folder has already been created in the WAR file.
- Start IBM WebSphere 7.
- Open Administrative Console. You can open Administrative Console using the Start Menu, or using the URL:
http://hostname:9060/ibm/console, where hostname is host name or IP address, and 9060 is the port number.
- After signing in, expand the Applications node and then Application Types. Select WebSphere enterprise applications, and then select Install.
- Select Browse to select your .war file. In the Context root field, type a context path such as /remote/ ("/remote" is also OK). Keep selecting Next.
- Select Finish in the Summary page. The installing process may take several minutes, wait until the process is completed.
- After the installation process is completed, select Save directly to the master configuration. Then in the Save directly to the master configuration dialog box, select Save.
- This step is to configure the dispatcher and cluster server. Go to WebSphere Admin Control to add some properties for this dispatcher. Expand Servers, go through Server Types > WebSphere application servers > server1 > Process definition (in the Server Infrastructure table > Java and Process Management) > Java Virtual Machine > Custom properties (in the Additional Properties table).
Select the New button to add properties for our demo dispatcher com.jinfonet.dispatcher.configFile and jrs.remote.dispatcher.
Figure 1: Add property for com.jinfonet.dispatcher.configFile
Figure 2: Add property for jrs.remote.dispatcher
The dispatcher DemoRemoteDispatcher.java reads the clustered server information in the hostport.properties file like below:
- If you have set up Logi Report Server in a cluster, you can append their host and port information to the above text file.
- Select the Save link in the Messages table to save the changes, and then restart WebSphere 7.
- Make sure you have started a clustered Logi Report Server once so that the server.properties file is generated in
- Change server.properties:
Then you can start the Logi Report Server and access your Server Pages with a URL: